Sabado, Abril 20, 2013

Changes

Here I go again. I type a word, then delete. I type then delete again.  Few minutes ago, I had an idea to start my blog but then when another idea popped into my mind I changed it again.

‘’Change is inevitable’’- Sir Baroy

It was my Philosophy class last year that I learned this quote. I strongly agree that is true; people change, everything’s changed. Even me, I know I changed a lot. I change the way I think, the way I speak, the way I dress and even my looks.

There was a time that I am wondering how these things happen, that why do girls experience menstruation or even why do boys grew taller than before. Luckily, I had a chance to answer all these questions on my mind.
At the time that I chose this topic, I know it will help a lot for me, not just to be informed me but also to be aware about the things that is happening to my body. Maybe it’s late but I know it help a lot.  

Each and everyone have differences. Girls are different than boys and vice versa.  We girls have broader hips than boys, our breast develops during puberty and unfortunately we experience the unexplained pain during menstruation. Do you know the reason behind this?  Nuh, don’t worry. In this topic I will give you a glimpse about these changes. Hands up girls, we will start!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
As we all know, girls have a different sexual characteristics than boys. We possess ovaries to our reproductive organ that secretes hormones such as progesterone, estrogen and androgens. But since I was assigned for one topic, I will only discuss ESTROGEN. I don’t know why I chose this topic but for me, since it is common it is much interesting than the others.  

Photo credits: http://www.women-health-info.com/images/estrogen-5.jpg

Estrogens together with the progesterone are from the follicles of the body. It is a type of steroid hormone specifically sex hormone that is responsible to the sex characteristics of female. It is considered as the main hormone of female and it is involved in menstrual cycle. This hormone is increases during puberty which started during the 11 and 13 years of age and completed at the age of 16. Actually, there are two types of sex characteristics in female that this hormone regulates.  (Primary and Secondary). Primary is involves in the production of oocyte and development or enlargement of genitalia and Secondary is related to the structural and behavioral changes of a female.

Photo credits: http://www.umm.edu/graphics/images/en/10341.jpg



Is it true that estrogens have different types?
-Yes, there are different types of estrogens which are:
1.      Estradiol
2.      Estrone
3.      Estriol

Estradiol plays an important role in the regulation of menstrual cycle. It is also formed in the ovary and produced by cyclic fashion throughout the 28 days of menstrual cycle. According to Calbreath, the main purpose of this type of hormone is to assist in the regulation of follicle stimulating hormone and luteinizing hormone released by the pituitary gland. Another function of this is that it also helps in the development of endometrium together with the progesterone.

Estrone and estriol are types of estrogens that are significant during pregnancy. It really means to say that this two are in high concentration during an individual is preganant and in low concentration when not. Estriols are produced between the interaction of the mother and the fetus inside her womb. The purpose of these two hormones focuses on the fetal growth and development.

Synthesis of Estrogen

According to Tate (Seeley’s Principle of Anatomy and Physiology), estrogens are produced from the primary molecule which is cholesterol. It is a complete chain of ring substitution and conversion reaction that leads to the formation of steroid hormones.  Then the formation of androstenodione occur which is a substance that crosses the basal membrane into the surrounding granulose cells where it is converted to estrone or estradiol either immediately or through testosterone and this conversion is by the enzyme aromatase. Levels of estradiol may vary through the menstrual cycle with levels highest just before ovulation.

Estrogens are also produced in smaller amount of tissues such as liver, adrenal glands and the breast. These tissue sources are very important especially when a woman reaches the time of menopause stage. Also fat cells, this is the reason why underweight or overweight women are is at high risk of infertility.

Aside from these, there are also many reasons that may affect the estrogens level such as hypogonadism, hypopituitarism, pregnancy failure, menopause and perimenopause, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), anorexia nervosa (eating disorder) and extreme exercise or training. Drugs may also decrease estrogen level by taking clomiphene also by having breastfeeding.

Photo credits: http://creationwiki.org/pool/images/9/9d/Estrogen_target_tissues.jpg

Effects of estrogen to the body

Brain- it helps to maintain the body temperature, delay memory loss and helps to prepare the body for sexual and reproductive development.

Breast- it helps to stimulate the development of the breast at puberty and prepare glands for future milk production.

Heart and liver- it helps in the regulation of the liver’s production of cholesterol and decreasing the build-up of plaque in the coronary arteries.

Reproductive organs- it stimulates the maturation of the ovaries and stimulates the start of woman menstrual cycle in which it is an indication that the reproductive organ is matured enough. It also helps in the maturation of the uterus and vagina.

Bone- it helps to preserve bone density.

I hope you enjoyed and learned about this topic. I may not able to discuss details but I am hoping that you got some ideas and points that may also help. Thank you and Godbless! 


References:
Mandal, A.,  News Medical. What is Estrogen. Retrieved from World Wide Web: http://women.webmd.com/guide/normal-testosterone-and-estrogen-levels-in-women
Tate, P. Seeley’s Principles of Anatomy and Physiology. Mc Graw Hill. p. 423
Bishop, M. Clinical Chemistry Techniques and Principle. 6th Edition. P.481
Calbreath, D. Clinical Chemistry p. 321
McPherson, R. Pncus, M. Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods, 22nd edition. Elsevier Saunders. P. 365






  

3 komento:

  1. I like it, this is good:) thnx to Estrogen, our future generation continues

    TumugonBurahin
  2. Good composition. You could add more online applications applicable for your topic.

    TumugonBurahin